Whether you’re a private individual or a business, setting up a website is important if you want to get a lot of mileage. Of course, getting a good WordPress host is essential if you want to maximize the functionality of your website. In this article, I list down everything that you need to know about getting a suitable web hosting for your site.
Why is it important to find the best WordPress host?
At first glance, you might be tempted to get a free web host. After all, you will be able to get the hosting that you want without spending a single cent (like me at starting time). However, if you don’t consider building an online business, free web hosting could be a nice one, at least, you can move to a more professional service provider later. You can check out the list of free web hosting companies with no banner ads here.
What you may not know about is the fact that a free web host can actually do your business more harm than good. Some of the downsides that you may experience when you get a free web host include:
- Limited control.
A free web host will only allow you to make very minimal changes on your website, so you may not end up with the website that you have in mind.
- Minimal functionality.
A free web host has limited functionality. It’s rare to find a free web host that allows you to set up a blog, forum, e-commerce page, and other such features on your website.
- Limited resources.
The bandwidth you are allotted is very low with free web hosts (usually around 1-10gb/month). This can turn off a lot of your customers, since they won’t be able to access your page quickly and easily.
- Multiple ads.
As you may know, ads can ruin the look of your website. Websites on free web hosts are supersaturated with ads, even those that are not relevant to the content of the page.
- Your website won’t look reputable.
If you’re using a free hosting site instead of getting your own domain, you will look less reputable and trustworthy.
- Minimal or no technical support
Don’t expect a customer service representative to answer your queries if you get a free web host, since there is usually no technical support with free hosting.
Given these disadvantages, it’s a better idea to pay for a good WordPress host that is actually reliable and does the job that it’s supposed to do instead of opting for a free web host that doesn’t actually do anything for your website.
The good news is that there are a lot of cheap web hosting companies that are known for good performance while charging a reasonable fee, so you need not worry about spending more than your budget allows.
How to Choose the Best WordPress Host
As is seen above, it’s important to find the best WordPress host to host your website. However, this can be easier said than done.
Because of the popularity of online-related businesses, there are now a lot of companies that have gone online to offer their services to their clients. While the variety is good, it can make choosing even harder, since you will have a lot to choose from. Listed below are some factors that you will want to consider so that you will be able to get the right WordPress host to fit your needs.
- Experience. As much as possible, get a WordPress host that has been in the industry for a few years (Hostgator, Dreamhost, Media Temple…) compared to one that is starting out. This is because the more experienced companies already know the common problems that you may encounter while availing of their services, so they are able to address these issues quickly and efficiently, unlike fledgling companies that do trial-and-error to see what remedies will actually work, since they’re not yet familiar with most of the issues that may emerge in web hosting.
- Your needs. Make sure that the WordPress host that you’re looking into will actually be able to fulfill what you need from a web hosting company. It’s not just a matter of budget, although that certainly plays a huge role in the picture. Check to see whether the web hosting company can actually fulfill what you need in terms of performance, bandwidth, speed, and other factors that are important in order to help you make the most out of your website.
- Uptime rate. It won’t do you any good if you get a WordPress host that spends more time in maintenance than it does in uptime. While maintenance and what-not cannot be avoided, this doesn’t mean that the web host should spend majority of your time performing all of these checks instead of making your website viewable to the public. Get a web hosting company that guarantees its clients a high uptime rate.
- Disk space. Make sure that the WordPress host actually has enough disk space to host all of the files (particularly multimedia files such as pictures, audio clips, and videos) that you will be uploading on your website. It wouldn’t do to get a web hosting service that will only allow you to post blocks of text because it can’t support the files that you will be uploading there.
One another importance factor is web host inodes:
You might see unlimited hosting services offered everywhere but what you didn’t notice is that all these offers comes with protective clauses that stand against the hosting users.
Limitation on inodes for instance is a good example of these clauses.
In order to control server usage, inodes are often limited by web hosting providers.
For example: While Hostgator offer an unlimited disk space packed, they still limit your disk space usage at maximum 250,000 inodes.
- Security. Make sure that the WordPress host that you get has taken all the steps necessary to keep all of the websites they’re hosting safe from being hacked into. Do make inquiries to see what safety measures the web hosting company is taking in order to provide tight security.
- Technical and customer support. No matter how efficient or how good the web hosting services are, it’s still possible for problems to occur somewhere along the way. As such, make sure that the WordPress host actually provides customer and technical support so that there will be someone who will quickly respond to your inquiries.
The WordPress host that you get can make or break the success of your website. As such, make sure that you take the time and the effort to choose the right web host for your site that you make the most out of it. In additional, If you want to build a more secure site, or your site received around 10,000 Unique visitors/day, then you may want to consider using a dedicated server at this point.
Don’t be afraid to shop around and make inquiries from the different web hosting companies that are offering their services. That way, you will not only be able to see the rates, but also what services they’re offering, allowing you to weigh in which of these answers your needs the best.