One of the most important tools in the hands of a blogger is an RSS feed tool. Tracking your feeds and getting statistics about them can be very useful, since it will give you a clear idea on what you need to do in order to make your blog more entertaining and more enticing for your readers.
One of the best tracking feed systems that is now in use is FeedBurner. The following guide will explain to you how FeedBurner works for indexing your blog posts:
What to expect from a tracking feed system?
FeedBurner is a very useful tool for a variety of reasons:
- Tracks down your RSS readers
- Establishes which feeds are more successful, based on what criteria and so on
- Provides you with great statistics about RSS readers
- Helps you optimize your content so that your feeds have more chances of getting more readers
How to use FeedBurner
The following steps will guide you through the process of setting up your FeedBurner account and taking advantage of its features:
- Go to the official FeedBurner website and sign in; if you have a Google account, this step is made easier.
- Introduce your feed into the ‘Burn a feed’ box. This will help you claim your feed by using a simple link to your blog post. Make sure that the URL link ends in ‘/feed’ or otherwise it will not work.
- Create a feed title. You want readers to know what they are reading about, right?
- Create a feed address. Do not overdo it and try to keep it as simple as possible. Keep in mind to stay away from caps as they do not always appear on all users’ machines.
- Get statistics. In order to get all the relevant statistics about your feeds, make sure that you select all the boxes on the page you are led to by FeedBurner. These include ‘Clickthroughs’, ‘Item enclosure downloads’ and other FeedBurner stats.
Making FeedBurner work for you
After you have gone through the setup process, you need to make FeedBurner work harder for you. This tool can help you optimize your posts in order to gain maximum exposure.
The ‘Optimize’ tab will guide you through a very easy and intuitive process that will make your blog posts more user friendly.
Probably the best thing about this optimization process is that it allows you to embed personal messages when someone accesses your feed. People appreciate being addressed to in a friendly manner, even if the process is automatic.
Another important step in optimizing your blog feeds is to make them visible for all feed readers out there. Unless a person can access your blog post and read it, they will not be able to tell if they like it or not.
Adding interactivity to your blog posts is also made possible by FeedBurner tools. You can have your feeds embed a Facebook, Stumble It! or Email This button, so that people can share it with others, and add more exposure to your blog posts.